Welcome

Welcome to my blog. Food for the brain is what I hope you will find here.
Turn your brain back on. Think! Question Everything.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The sky is faling! The sky is falling!

Today, as I read the news, I read about more bank failures, gas shortages in Atlanta, more foreclosures, gas prices are outrageous, the Dow Jones plummets 777 -- the biggest drop ever, stocks are down, a terrorist sprays gas into a church, the government refuses a bail out (that is bad news how?), and the list goes on and on and on ad-nauseaum. And the talking heads only tell us how bad it is and how worse it is going to get.

Don't you just get sick and tired of it all? Don't you just wish the "talking heads" would just stop with all the bad news, for just one day, and give us some good news? Well, I do. I'm tire of it. Someone told me that one person can make a difference. So I went looking for good news...

In my hometown:
Good news #1: Gas prices in my area are down to $3.53 a gallon, from a high of $4.49 last week, that is a 96 cent decrease in a week! That is mighty good news! I can fill my tank and buy oil for the engine for less than $50 today. Woo-Hoo!

Washington D.C.
Good news #2: The Congress listened to the people, for once, and voted against a bailout of the private banking buccaneers (A ruthless speculator.). I have a bail-out plan -- make the CEO and other officers of those banks pay back the billions they collected in bonuses while engaging in their ruthless speculation. Then allow the banks to go out of business -- one less leech in the pond. Now, declare Jubilee, allow every home loan owned by those defunct banks to be "paid in full" and send the deed to the homeowner. And if the investors don't like it, let them take on the debt of the bank, and pay off the loans for the beleaguered homeowners. As part of the deal, make it so that there can be no other loan on that home as long as the "deeded owner" owns it, other than for emergency repairs to the home, and then only at 3% interest.

Personally, I can't think of anything that would put more money into the economy than to have people know that they are not going to end up homeless. If I didn't have to pay for housing, I would buy a new car, new furniture, new clothes, take a cruise, save for college, hire a tutor, etc. Many of my friends and acquaintances tell me they would do the same.

Transportation
Good News #3: The next piece of good news that I found was this one from The Good News Network:
Boeing last week joined Virgin Atlantic and eight other major air carriers, along with Honeywell's energy arm, in an organized effort to develop new sustainable aviation fuels that will lower carbon emissions and free the airlines from the grip of high oil prices.
WOOO-HOO. Lets hope that project goes forward quickly. To my mind, we can't lower carbon emissions quick enough.

Hero
Good News #5:
Eighteenth century viola that was left in a cab has been returned by the driver to the owner. Woo-Hoo! I hope he was justly rewarded!


Globally - Goodwill
Good News #6:
The Hamas rulers of Gaza said on Sunday they released five leaders of the rival Fatah faction as well as 30 other prisoners ahead of celebrations marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

"We are releasing these men as we hope the leaders in the West Bank will do the same for the Hamas prisoners," a spokesman for the Islamist movement told AFP.
I send prayers of peace and love to both groups that this release will also open talks of peaceful co-existence between the two groups.

OK. I think that is just about all the good news we Americans can handle at one sitting. Don't want to get too sappy here. Go out and find your own good news and report it here in comments.

Until next time,
Sybil
The Cosmic Catalyst

1 comment:

Kim E Upton said...

Looks great - changed my blog name today to fit in with everything else...

*hugs*